Right here’s Gluten-free and dairy-free sugar cookie recipe you must check out in your kitchen.
Think about this your information to more healthy baking. Chef Mia Rigden and Jenny Dorsey workforce as much as present you the best way to revamp a few of your favourite baked items to make them more healthy and loaded with better-for-you substances—with out skimping on taste.
IYKYK: These thick, crumbly sugar cookies topped with a thick layer of pink icing (plus sprinkles) from the grocery retailer bakery simply hit totally different than different treats. Alas, whereas these cookies are unquestionably scrumptious, they don’t supply a ton of dietary advantages—and extra importantly, people who keep away from consuming gluten and/or dairy don’t get to take pleasure in them.
When you have been craving that nostalgic sugar cookie style however keep on with a gluten-free or dairy-free eating regimen, you’ve come to the proper place. On this episode of Alt-Baking Bootcamp, Sashah Handal, a baker, vitamin coach, and coach, demos a gluten-free sugar cookie recipe that’s additionally vegan. “We’re gonna make an excellent enjoyable, colourful, playful, shiny pink frosted sugar cookie,” says Handal. “It’s fully plant-based, and the dough is gluten-free. So it’s a complete crowd pleaser, and it’s good for anybody with any sort of meals intolerance.”
To make the recipe vegan and dairy-free, Handal swaps the butter and milk utilized in conventional sugar cookie recipes for vegan butter and cashew milk. And as an alternative of all-purpose flour, she makes use of oat flour within the recipe as a gluten-free various. “For those who really want them to be really gluten-free, be sure to’re taking a look at your package deal and that it reads Licensed Gluten-Free to make sure there’s no cross contamination,” she notes. Oat flour can also be tremendous simple to work with, and it’s excessive in fiber and protein.
As soon as the dough is combined and chilled, it’s time to roll it out and use a cookie cutter. “For those who don’t have a cutter at house, you should utilize a glass or a jar, and it’ll make the identical sort of round reduce out for you,” Handal advises. Then, it’s into the oven at 350°F for round 10 minutes.
Whereas the cookies bake, you will get began on the icing, which requires powdered sugar and beet juice. “Beets are insanely good for you,” Handal says. “They’ve plenty of antioxidants, and so they’re naturally excessive in sugar…it’s going to offer you that good frosting that you really want to your cookies.” As soon as the cookies are out of the oven, allow them to cool, then high them with frosting and revel in. For those who don’t wish to bake all of the dough without delay, Handal says to bake off half of it and hold the opposite half in your freezer for the subsequent time a sugar cookie craving strikes. (“The dough will hold for not less than two weeks,” she says.)
Press play on the video to see the total gluten-free sugar cookie recipe in motion, and discover the substances and directions under.
Gluten-free and dairy-free sugar cookie recipe
For the cookies:
1/2 stick vegan butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cashew milk, or any various milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oat flour
2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
For the frosting:
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 Tbsp beet juice, divided
1. Place the vegan butter and sugar right into a bowl. Cream the substances collectively for about two to 3 minutes, till you might have a light-weight, fluffy texture. It is a tremendous essential a part of ensuring the cookies are ethereal as an alternative of dense. Combine within the cashew milk and the vanilla extract.
2. Sift the dry substances (oat flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt) right into a separate bowl, then add to the moist substances. Combine all of it collectively, beginning gradual in order that the flour doesn’t go in every single place, then rushing it up.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for not less than half-hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll the dough on a lightly-floured floor till it’s round 1/4-inch thick. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a cookie or biscuit cutter to chop out your cookies, then place them on the baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies at 350°F for 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheet midway by means of.
6. To make the frosting, place the powdered sugar right into a clear bowl. Add three teaspoons of the beet juice, and whisk collectively. Add extra beet juice as wanted to skinny the consistency. Place in fridge for roughly 10 minutes to assist the frosting harden.
7. As soon as your cookies are fully cool, high them with frosting and revel in!
We you discovered this Gluten-free and dairy-free sugar cookie recipe fascinating!